Faith Into Practice
Who are we?
The Evangelical Sisterhood of Mary is an international, inter-denominational, community.
We seek to live according to Jesus’ teachings in the Sermon on the Mount, putting Him first in our lives. And we wish to encourage others who want to learn how to do so.
How do we put faith into daily practice?
Living in community life is a wilful decision to practice ‘dying to self' on a daily basis by walking in faith (poverty), singleness (chastity) and in obedience (giving up the ability to do 'as I please'.)
Faith—Jesus alone can bless us and make our life rewarding. In this awareness we Sisters choose to do without personal property, following the example of the first disciples of Jesus. The disciples ‘left everything’ (Mark 1:18, 20) in order to follow the One who announced the Kingdom of God. Our treasures do not consist of earthly goods, as our Father in heaven provides for our daily needs. We experience this corporately, individually and radically. The very food on our table is a gift. The same applies to all the buildings, grounds, appliances. Everything at Canaan has been given as a gift!
Singleness—This radical discipleship means being free of personal ties. We Sisters live as singles. We want to love Jesus with all our hearts and lives. Canaan is a place where Jesus is deeply loved and where others may discover this relationship with Him in a personal way for their lives. Love for Jesus is what makes people truly free, natural and happy!
Obedience—We seek to obey the will of Christ alone. Each of us is to look not only to our own interests, but also to the interests of those we are living and walking with. Only in Christ is there a private life. Jesus surrounded Himself with a group of disciples serving one another. This means we have a structured life with rules and so too does the Canaan Helper Volunteer family.
What is our mission?
- To equip people with Christian life-skills, so that they can make a positive impact on their homes, schools, work places and communities.
- To deepen and enrich the spiritual lives of people and their personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.
- To encourage and develop a compassionate and caring awareness for our communities, countries, and for others around the world.
- To practise living, working and serving one another as Jesus’ disciples and to help others learn how to put their faith into practice in everyday life.
What you can expect?
- Group sessions that will support and help give you tools to put your faith into practice.
- Experience living in a Christian Community and how to work through in a practical way the daily challenges you will face.
- Times of Bible Study, prayer, fellowship and worship.
- Participation in weekly intercession prayer meetings for the community and world.
- Cross-cultural interaction with other Volunteer members from other countries, and with the Sisters and visitors at Canaan.
- Daily 3pm prayer service of thanksgiving in remembrance of Jesus’ act of redemption.
- Balanced day of prayer, work, fellowship and leisure.
For more information or to send you application, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org